Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kids' Clothes Week Challenge: Stumbling Blocks

I. Hate. Sewing Patterns.  They are confusing, impracticle, and I seem to be incapable of getting the correct one.

This past weekend, I stopped at Joann to get a new pattern for Caleb's pajamas.  Being me, I didn't read the ad right, and ended up paying almost $9, rather than the $2 I was intending to pay.  Being coupon bonanza time, and time for crafters to start making their holiday stuff, the store was packed.  Caleb had been quite patient thus far, and I wasn't going to push it by making him wait in line again.  So, I left with the intent of coming back while he was in school to exchange the pattern.  Well, things happening as they will, he still had to come with me on Monday, but, thanks to the bribe promise of a trip to the pet store and the possibility of a new fish, he was again very patient.

So, I get home and start unfolding the pattern, only to find I got the wrong size.  Grrr....  Okay, fine.  Nothing I can do about it now.  I'll keep it, make myself some pjs as well, some day.  It is too late to go get a new pattern, so I'll just make the largest size of what I had gotten a while back.  According to the package, it goes up to a 6, so it'll still fit.  I'll just have to make more in a few months.  No biggie.  Except, wait, this one only goes up to a size 3T.  Brilliant!  Apparently this refusal to read has been going on for a while now, as I only bought this pattern last winter... long after we passed the 3T stage.  Grrr, again!  Fine, I'll make my nephew some pjs for Christmas.  I'm thinking this will be another hand-made Christmas anyways.  No problem.

Unfortunately, Caleb has no pjs that fit right now, or pants for that matter, so I can't make my own pattern.  I'll just have to run to Joann tomorrow for the right pattern.  Which I will read this time.  I'm just glad I realized the problem before I cut into Caleb's self-chosen fabric.

Surprise!  Puppies...

Not wanting to completely waste the first day of KCWC, I decided to grab some fabric I bought on clearance last year and get started on my nephew's pajamas.



  Almost finished them, too.  I just need some elastic.  One day, I'll learn to read the pattern packages, and I'll know I need stuff like elastic, which I should have known anyways.  Life will be so much easier then.

No comments:

Post a Comment