Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Heart Estate Sales

You might have noticed that I frequent estate sales.  I love them.  You can find some amazing things, often things you didn't even know you needed or wanted.  Sometimes, it has nothing to do with that is being sold.  I have seen some amazing houses, like the $3 million estate we went to a few weeks ago.  Sometimes they are amazing for completely different reasons.  I've been to a few houses in which, I swear, nothing new had been brought into the house in the past 30, 40, even 50 years.  Then there was the "body house", reaking of decomposition. 

Just a couple of weeks ago, we visited a house that I would have put even money on the former occupant having been a transvestite.  Not that there is anything wrong with that...

There are a few things I usually look for...  vintage kids books and toys and fabrics being the major ones.

A few weeks back, the same day in fact as the cross-dresser's house, we hit the fabric jackpot.  The house's owner was a retired firefighter who was downsizing.  He had the most amazing collection of firefighter-related stuff... pictures and toys and collectables.  There was also a huge collection of Disney figurines.  But the most incredible find was a room completely dedicated to fabric.  With very little exageration, I can say that fabrics were stacked floor to ceiling, around all 4 walls and on a bunch of tables gathered in the middle of the room.  I could probably have spent the entire remainder of the day browsing through the yards and yards of different patterns and materials.  Unfortunately, I got a call to come in for an orientation for my new job shortly after I starting picking through, so I had to cut it short.  But I did manage to snag a couple of pieces...


This one is destined to become a pillowcase dress for my horse-crazy niece.  I plan to go shopping for a good complimentary fabric for the trim tomorrow.



Not sure yet of this one's destiny.  I just loved the vintage feel of the print.  I'll be sure to let you know...

I have a few more finds from last week to share as well, but I think I will save them for tomorrow.  Or, should I say TO BE CONTINUED....

(Now you'll have to come back, as I am sure the suspense is killing you...)

No comments:

Post a Comment