Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Knuffle Bunny is Saying Goodbye :(

Several of the 100 books Caleb and I read this past summer were by our favorite children's book author, Mo Willems. 

We were first introduced to Mo Willems when we picked up one of his books at a garage sale.  It was I Am Going, one of the many adventures of Elephant and Piggie.  No lie, I laughed out loud reading this book!!

I Am Going! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)

Shortly after we started our quest to read 100 books over the summer, we checked out Leonardo, the Terrible Monster.

Leonardo, the Terrible Monster (Ala Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))

Leonardo quickly became Caleb's favorite book.  And for good reason!  It is a wonderfully hilarious and touching tale, and Willems' unique storytelling style and fantastic illustrations are captivating, to kids and adults alike.






We also read a few Pigeon books, which are, by the way, also hilarious!!  Pigeon is quite the mischievous pigeon (go figure).  We read The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog, The Pigeon Wants a Puppy, and Don't Let the Pigeon Dive the Bus.  With titles like that, how could you not want to read them?
                                                  The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy    Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

There are several other Pigeon titles.  I highly suggest reading them all!

Mo's most renowned stories chronicle the adventures of a little girl named Trixie (modeled after Willems' daughter) and Knuffle Bunny, her stuffed bunny.  We read Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale.  Adorable story!  And the illustrations are absolutely wonderful.  I was fortunate enough to find our own copy of this, as well as the second in the series, Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity, at an estate sale a few weeks back. 

Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Bccb Blue Ribbon Picture Book Awards (Awards))   Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity

I think Caleb will be thrilled to open this present on Christmas Morning!  I know I will be.

I seriously love this guy's books!!  So you can imagine my excitement when I saw that Sugar Pop Ribbons was hosting a giveaway of the next, and sadly last, installment of the adventures of Knuffle Bunny, Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion.

Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion 

Such a bittersweet moment.  I'm hoping to win.  Of course, if I don't, I will be buying it for Christmas.  Either way, I can't wait to read it. 

2 comments:

  1. Molly LOVES the pigeon books- they've been loved and read and adored to pieces. Literally. I'll have to check out these others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen any of those, but by the artwork alone, I need them! I'm such a sucker for great illustrations =)

    ReplyDelete